Here we go, my peeps.  So I’m at the airport as I write this.   Just waiting for my flight.   Things have been relatively smooth but the universe is still playing little jokes on me to make my life  . . . interesting  . . . just so I know that Priscilla is going to be soooo great and such a wonderful time.  It has to throw me a little drama to warm me up.  Examples, you ask.  Oh, allow me. My final show of JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT at Rainbow Stage in Winnipeg – it had been a little cool for a week or so and then started to really warm up.  By that Friday of my final day, it had gotten up to 27 degrees.  Woohoo.  Just before the show it had started to rain a bit, no biggie.   The first scene (a choreographed overture) started and we noticed it seemed unusually dark onstage, even for a rainy night.  We all realized that, although the lights at the back of the stage were on, the lights coming from the front of the stage (above) weren’t on at all.  We finished the first scene and the stage manager had to stop the show because there was something wrong with the lighting grid/instruments/something.  Fine, not an unheard of incident, even though we have not had one bit of trouble with them all summer but there was a storm.  During the hold . . . that’s when the hail started . . . the HAIL!!!!!!!  Chunks of ice the size of jawbreakers!!!!  It was 27 degrees out.  Suddenly the hail stopped, the lights started working and off we continued.  The cast was joking that the universe was unhappy that I was leaving.  Hahahaha, funny. “The universe can stall all it wants.  My ass is on a plane at 9:00AM tomorrow morning”

Well, y’all, famous last words.  I went out for a drink with some of the cast, not late and only one drink.  I had packed most of my stuff so I didn’t have to go home and spend hours doing that.  I wasn’t particularly overtired.  But for the first time in MY ENTIRE LIFE, I seriously overslept and missed my flight.  As I said, my flight was at 9AM.  I woke up at 8:30 – the cut off for checking bags. So now I’m in full yellow alert trauma – shocked awake trying to figure out what to do.  I had grown a full Van Dyke for the show (mustache and goatee) and had cut it off in chunks before bed, meaning to shave the rest properly in the morning. So here I now am, shocked awake, trying to figure out how to get to the airport as fast as possible to get the next fight, I look in the mirror and see what I can only describe as an upscale “uni-bomber”and have images of the faces of the airport service personnel as I walk up to the counter and ask to get on the next flight to “anywhere”.  So I have to shave, finish packing bits, get a cab to the airport, only to find out when I get there at about 9:20am that there isn’t another flight out until 6pm that night.  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  There are no words to aptly describe the emotional pain, disappointment and heartache that riddled my body at that moment.  Oh, did I mention it was $50 dollars to change my ticket?  I actually, for the first time in a while, had to sit down and weep a little, I won’t lie.   I was tired, I wanted to go home, I only had a day and a half turn around before heading off to New York.  I’m pretty good at letting thing go but this was a lot.  Luckily, at that moment, my best friend Krista happened to call to leave a message about something else and was shocked to hear me answer the phone.  She didn’t even hesitate, she came and got me and, since she had a rehearsal for a reading she was doing that afternoon, she dropped me at the library which was fine as 1. I couldn’t face having to talk to anyone and 2. I had some stuff I needed to do on the computer when I got home anyway so I could use the time.  I managed to get my stuff done, go to see the public reading of the play (which was a gift since I haven’t seen Krista act in years) and then she and her wonderful husband drove me to the airport since I was determined not to miss the next flight.

Is that all, you ask.  Of course not,  just for one last giggle, I get to the airport and up to the desk.  Did you know that Continental Airlines charges you for your checked baggage???   I didn’t!!!!!  Not the third baggage and beyond but the first and second bags which you’re allowed to check.   $35 for the 1st bag and $25 for the 2nd bag . . . plus $7.80 in taxes.  I literally must have just had that amount on my credit card cause  it went through, and I was pretty sure it was more or less full.  My God.

But the light in all of this is that the universe plays games I have found.  This is all just a warm up to prepare me for the good times ahead.  It’s the universe saying, “I’m going to have some fun with you and you have to suck it up.  But I’m only doing it because the next journey is going to be so rewarding.”  So I’ve just laughed and rolled my eyes.  After breaking down at the airport.  I managed to talk myself off the ledge.  Thank you Krista and Matthew.  Always my angels.

But now to the New York part.  I land at 12:50 something and hit the ground running.  I go to my apartment where I’ll be staying and meet my wonderful friend Dathan who found me the place and has been a total Godsend in taking care of stuff there, then I’ll take him for a lunch to thank him for his help.  (There will be a glamorous dinner to follow at some point as he has gone above and beyond but it’s a start).  Then I go for a wig fitting at 3:30.   Then on Tuesday, I have a mask fitting at 10:30 and a costume fitting at 1:30 for an hour and a half.  Then on Wednesday rehearsals begin.  Let the games begin, my peeps.

Published in: on August 23, 2010 at 2:17 pm  Comments (3)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

3 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I love it!

  2. Hi Thom: Just remember those things sent to try us, only make us stronger in the end. I am excited to hear all about NYC, for now you have arrived my journey will begin as well.

  3. Turns out today has definetely been a “Priscilla” day. Coming to work I read an article in The Toronto Star on Tony Sheldon, I then noticed the posters are up in front of the Princess of Wales Theatre, and then your blog arrived …. whooo hooo …. getting excited.

    Enjoy New York!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: